WHY DID TREACHER CROSS THE ROAD?

He just wanted to watch Lost, well go to CVS and then watch Lost.

Everyone’s favorite blogger, Sean “Jim Treacher” Medlock was hit by an SUV while crossing the street in Washington, DC on Wednesday, February 3.  That alone should meet anyones suck quotient for the whole year.  When I read about it Thursday morning on his blog, DC Trawler,  I was very sad for him because I assumed he was in tremendous pain.  I was also grateful his boss, Tucker Carlson, had bought him that silly Macbook so he could continue to entertain me while recuperating.  I thought that was it.  I was wrong.

There was more.  In his first blog post he said:

“One last thing: I’m told by multiple people that the SUV that hit me was Secret Service. If this is true, I want to know why that happened. I was crossing legally, and they just left me there. At the very least, I want an apology. What happened to me was wrong.” (emphasis added by me)

And Media Matters ran with it.  Grasping at an imaginary straw they base this whole… article on saying Treacher said something he never said.

“It’s true that a conservative blogger, who writes under name Jim Treacher, immediately claimed he’d been hit by a Secret Service SUV. (Which, of course, lit a fire under the conspiratorial, right-wing blogosphere.) But in fact, he was not hit by a Secret Service vehicle. The claim, according to “federal law enforcement officials,” was baseless. (The driver reportedly worked for the State Dept.)”

You lie!  Treacher never claimed he was hit by a Secret Service SUV.  He claimed someone told him they were Secret Service, and he said if that’s true he would like to know why.  And as the story developed he continued to post updates and clarifications, in spite of his injuries.  That’s it.  Doesn’t matter, the moonbats ran with it.  Media matters.

It turns out the guy who hit Jim Treacher with his giant car works for the State Department, not the Secret Service.  Whatevs.  That dude still sucks and Jim Treacher is still in the hospital.  Oh yeah, he had to have reconstructive surgery on his knee.  Because his knee was essentially shattered.  Because of the dude, Mike McGuinn, who hit him with his giant steel car.  But wait, there’s more.  His tibia is also messed up, and he has a pulmonary embolism.  That’s a blood clot is his lung.  Yes, that’s bad.  Surprise!

Oh, did I mention the jaywalking ticket?  Treacher was issued a jaywalking ticket while in the ER, and the location on the citation is blocks from where the accident happened.  C’mon ladies, we knew it.  He can be in two places at once, and he’s magic.  Cue Heart song.  Don’t really, they freak when conservatives use their music, and I don’t want Ann Wilson to eat me.

Hit and Run or Hit and Shun?

When the accident occurred it seemed obvious it was a hit and run.  Know why?  Mike McGuinn, driver of the giant steel car that hit the beloved blogger, talked to Treacher at the scene, but didn’t tell him he was the driver.  He also didn’t reveal himself when he called The Daily Caller offices to tell them about the accident.  It’s unclear whether he was straight with police on the scene.  That’s why the left has centered the debate (why is there even a debate?) on whether this was technically a hit and run.  In the meantime, they’re slandering Jim Treacher by claiming he said slanderous things he never said. I know.  Media matters.

Bottom line: Jim Treacher is still in the hospital and has a months long rehab to look forward to.  Mike McGuinn is still the bad guy.  I’m not familiar with DC law, but where I live (don’t ask me how I know) Treacher could have been on peyote, naked cartwheeling down the street and Mike McGuinn would still be the bad guy for hitting Jim Treacher with his giant steel car.  This is only becoming a political thing because of Treacher’s job, and I think that stinks.  I also think it stinks he has to deal with this crap while dealing with injuries suffered from being hit with a State Dept. employee’s giant steel car.

The more this story develops the more it’s like a press release getting kicked down the stairs, which I assume would be preferable to being hit with a car!  The facts can be found at The Daily Caller, where Jim Treacher, victim, happens to work.

So I thought it was important to do my part to try to correct the record because media matters.  Get better, Sean!

P.S. check out That’s Right’s post from the day of the accident.  In fact, check out his whole site.  I think he’s neat.  I met him in the DC Trawler’s comment section!

crossposted at snarkandboobs, killtruck

About Kill Truck

KillTruck is a wife, mother, blogger and native midwesterner now living in Eastern Washington state. She writes about politics, pop culture, parenting, wifing and a few other subjects she has no authority to write about. She has macabre fascinations with prostitution and/or cannibalism. In her free time she enjoys eating and/or drinking her feelings, liveblogging Lifetime movies, thinking about Scott Brown and mocking things she doesn’t understand.
This entry was posted in Too Lazy to Categorize and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to WHY DID TREACHER CROSS THE ROAD?

1. Pingback: WHY DID THE TREACHER CROSS THE ROAD? « KillTruck

2. Pingback: WHY DID THE TREACHER CROSS THE ROAD? « Snark And Boobs

3. Pingback: That's Right

4. Joe says:

This type of corruption really works me up. I doubt Treacher was targeted personnally. He was probably just some guy who got accidently hit by a Secret Service agent. But then the Secret Service agent (apparently) abuses his authority and tries to cover it up. WTF?

If you did this and got caught it would be called hit and run and you would be going to jail. If you are in a cross walk you are in the right. End of story.

5. Nice how the damned ticket says the hit and run occurred at 26th and M, not 22nd and M.

And Media Matters? Their motto is “The Truth Never Matters.”

6. Dustin says:

I just don’t get why they would want to be this ugly to Treacher. He’s just a funny guy. He’s not reporting the news. This isn’t partisan.

He was hurt real bad by a government vehicle and reported what he knew, which was that some said it was Secret Service and he never heard from the driver. That was obviously the truth. the driver failed to report himself at the scene, and he was State department security, which in a black SUV would be assumed to be Secret Service.

What I don’t understand is: why is this defense even necessary? I read on these lefty blogs “he’s a teabagger, who cares if he’s hurt” and I wonder if these people are seriously that butthurt about the TEA party. Media Matters has absolutely no justification to report on something like this, or attempt to harm someone’s case. They know they are just being plain mean to someone who is going to have a hard time responding until he gets better.

Why waste their time like that? Is partisanship really that big a deal? Most democrats believe that Bush “possibly” knew 9/11 was going to happen, and they can’t accept that a government security driver might try to CYA?

Give me a break.

• Kill Truck says:

I didn’t even get to that balloonjuice thread. How messed up is it that the ugliest comments I’ve read were on a post that wasn’t even about Treacher. It was about Andrew Breitbart.

I spent the week before dealing with the same lunatics over O’Keefe. They’re animals.

• Dustin says:

Balloon Juice. That’s exactly the thread I was talking about.

I’d be ashamed to attract that many ‘like minded’ assholes. And “asshole” is the best way to describe that degree of anger at Treacher. I guess O’Keefe’s issues gave some folks an excuse to throw any fairness or civility out the window and they forgot to put their mask back on when Treacher’s damn knee was busted up in an accident.

Pretty insane. I don’t even see the right saying stuff that bad about Murtha. Hope Treacher ignores all that and just gets on with his life.

7. Pingback: Tweets that mention WHY DID TREACHER CROSS THE ROAD? -- Topsy.com

8. General Tso's Chicken says:

Balloon Juice sucks worse than thor’s mom.

9. SDN says:

Actually, Balloon Juice used to be a pretty good blog back in the day. Until it became an early example of what’s now known as “Lizard’s Syndrome” after it’s most famous sufferer. It’s sad.

10. eddiebear says:

one point that this whole deal illustrates is that, beyond any doubt, MediaMatters (especially with Eric Boehlert) is not a media watchdog group; they are as much of a hit piece/advocacy machine as anything coming out of the Blumenthal family.

But why is MM making this their tempest of the moment? DO they feel that taking this story on will help forward a policy goal? Or, is this just an attempt to marginalize a well known conservative blogger and his new employer?

11. dorkafork says:

“That’s why the left has centered the debate (why is there even a debate?) on whether this was technically a hit and run.”

I don’t know why there is a “debate” about it, I just figured Eric Boehlert still doesn’t know what a “hit and run” is.

12. SarahW says:

Who wrote the citation? When was it written and on what basis? A called-in complaint after the accident?
    The driver’s complaint? The unidentified driver’s complaint? How many statements were taken at the scene and who took them?

Why did the Daily Caller get runaround asking for an accident report? Why were they told no report would be available for weeks; then told no report would be available at all?

Why would there be no report on an accident with a seriously injured pedestrian?

The driver, who was located through the number he left in the logs at the Daily Caller (failing to identify himself in any way) curiously conceded that Sean (Jim Treacher) “was
    not jaywalking” – but that “at the time of the accident” was outside of the crosswalk.
    Is that a weaseled claim, based on where JT was lying after having been (pardon) hit with a State Dept. employee’s giant steel car?

I’m cheezed off with the slimy, bad-faith liability containment efforts used when the employee, through inattention or distraction, basically just screwed up and hurt someone trying to cross the street in the ordinary fashion.

It’s disgraceful. By the way, tort reform would delay or JT out of his day in court or make it too risky to proceed. *SPOCK ON* Remember *SPOCK OFF*

13. SarahW says:

Sorry, forgot to close a tage.

14. SarahW says:

Also a tag.

15. Gekkobear says:

The MediaMatters thing gets me… but maybe I’m wrong.

Let me hit Eric Boehlert with a car, then see what level of mental acuity he has. I’m just saying, since he expects 0 errors from a guy who just got hit with a car, maybe he can show us how it’s done.

I won’t be leaving my name or information at the scene after I hit him. Eric has convinced me that I don’t need to if I you know, call it in later or something. I’ll call someone who isn’t him but knows him and just let them know I smacked him one or something when I get around to it.

Sounds like a plan… I wonder when we can put this together.

16. SarahW says:

Isn’t it sort of a much of a muchness whether JT was hit by Secret Service or some other Federal agency security detail?

I mean, a big ass government vehicle, supposed to be driven by a SUPER-DRIVER STATE SECURITY PERSON, that may have disappeared without leaving information about himself as the law demands, or only provided it after the fact by making stuff up to cover his ass (perhaps on advice of authority or government counsel)
    the big deal? (Besides driving carelessly enough to maim and kill people going about their business?)

Cheezit Crackers.